My students complete a short homework log every night (ah, the advantages of being in a community where everyone has computers and internet access). I use this to track how much they complete (important, since I only want them working for 30 minutes and often (purposefully) give them assignments I don't expect to be finished or don't really have a finish). I also use this to help prepare for my lesson the following day, get a sense of what questions they have, and how well they understood the assignment. Finally, this is yet another space for kids to communicate with me.
Anyway, the tech issues:
- Right now students populate a google form and these data are transferred into a google spreadsheet that I look at. Unfortunately, I'm the only one who can see this. It would be really nice for students to have access to their own homework logs.
- It would also be nice if this history could easily be a way for students to organize their digital work. If work could be easily linked from the log, the student and I could both look at old work.
- Filtering is possible, but it's slow and clunky...especially now that my spreadsheet is quite large. It would be really nice to be able to quickly filter by class, by assignment, by kid, by understanding, etc.
- At this point in time, the file in general is becoming slow and clunky. While I could start a new form, this makes filtering by student even more time consuming.
- I wish it were easier to analyze this large (and potentially informative) data set. What's Jonny's average perception of his understanding on homework assignments? Has this increased or decreased? Is he spending more, less, or the same amount of time on assignments?
- I wish I could click on a comment by a student and have my email pop open so I can shoot off a quick and efficient reply.
- I wish my students would have an email automatically sent to them when the log is not completed...or for the ability to automatically or quickly contact parents.